top of page



Q: Is this legal?

A: Yes! This is a legal marriage that is 100% binding in all states, all branches of the military and in most countries. You will be married with a Kansas state marriage license. The Kansas Judicial court, which is the court that issues the marriage licenses, has a FAQ page which shows the legality of proxy marriages HERE. 


Q: How come I never heard of a proxy marriage before?
A: Because Kansas is the only state left where a proxy marriage is legal for everyone so it is not widely known in the rest of the country. In fact, most people don't even know what it is until they are researching options to get married for their seemingly impossible circumstance and they stumble upon our website.


Q: What IS a proxy marriage?
A: It is a marriage where the couple cannot be together for their ceremony for a wide variety of reasons including military, incarceration, foreign country, illness, etc. The "proxy" is a stand in for the absent spouse. 


Q: What do I need to provide to get this done?

A: You need to apply online for your Kansas marriage license. We need consent to the marriage from your partner, which can be a signed affidavit, a power of attorney, a letter sent to us, etc, and we will need a copy of your photo ID. 


Q: Do I have to be a resident of the state of Kansas to purchase a Kansas marriage license?
A: No. You can purchase a Kansas marriage license without living in the state of Kansas. In fact, you can purchase a marriage license in any state in the USA without being a resident of that state, and the license will be legally valid and recognized in ALL states. Just like running away to Vegas - you would have a Nevada marriage license and it would be legally binding.


Q: How long does this take?

​A: Generally we can get this done in about a week. It takes 3 business days to get the Kansas marriage license which will be emailed to you. 


Q: Do I need to purchase a new license in my own state after I complete the proxy marriage?
A: No. You will already be married and there is no need to ever purchase another marriage license from any other state. 


Q: Can I change my name?
A: Yes. In fact, Kansas is a state that will actually change your name for you on the marriage license application. You will still need to get a new Social Security card and a new Drivers License.

Q: What's the difference between a Domestic Partnership and a Marriage?

A: A domestic partnership does not give you as many legal rights, you won't have a marriage license and may not be recognized in every state.

HERE is a good website to read more on the issue.

Q: How do I marry my fiance who is incarcerated?

A: You will apply online for the Kansas marriage license. We will also need their consent which we can obtain different ways, such as a power of attorney, email through their prison system, they can send a consent letter to our chapel, etc.


Q: Things didn't work out for us. How do I get an annulment?

A: Here is some information on getting an annulment.

First, you can do it in your own state and county. An annulment is different from a divorce: a divorce ends an existing marriage while an annulment means no valid marriage ever existed. You may be able to do the annulment yourself without hiring a lawyer although it is a good idea to check with a lawyer as the fees are probably less than a divorce. Sometimes a paralegal can also do this for you.


Grounds for an annulment include:

​​Incest - Spouses are first cousins or closer in relation.
Bigamy - One spouse has a previous spouse they never divorced.
Insanity - One spouse was incapable of understanding they were getting married.
Underage - One spouse was under 18 without permission to be married.
Fraud - One spouse lied about or hid something essential to the marriage.
Mistake - The spouses would not have married if they knew certain facts.
Impotence - The spouses didn't know one spouse was incurably impotent.
Coercion - One spouse was forced into the marriage.
Sham Marriage - The spouses didn't mean to get married, such as a joke marriage or while intoxicated.


Some grounds for annulment have additional conditions:
If one spouse is insane, he or she must have been unable to understand they were getting married on the date of marriage; a marriage won't be annulled because someone later went insane. A spouse is not necessarily unable to understand they are getting married just because they are under another person's guardianship.
Spouses 16 or 17 can still have valid marriages that are not eligible to be annulled if they had parental or judicial permission. If a person is 15, they can only be married with the permission of a district court judge.
Fraud has to be about something important to annul a marriage. For example, Kansas courts have annulled marriages when a wife hides that her pregnancy at the time of marriage was by another man. On the other hand, courts have refused to annul marriages when one spouse has lied about previous sexual activity.



You may be able to find free legal aid in your state. Here is a helpful website:

DISCLAIMER: The information on this site does not constitute legal advice. The goal of this website is to educate the consumer on the proxy marriage process. Please consult a lawyer with any legal questions for your individual situation. We do not offer refunds on our proxy marriages.

bottom of page